Saturday, June 28, 2008

Happy 4th Birthday Kellin

The kids included Josh, Briar & Aiden, Toby & Tray, Anniston & Camden, Kaden & Kaley, and Kellin's cousin Carson.

Kellin turned 4 on Saturday but we celebrated his birthday on Friday with a Wall-e themed party, a pinata, cake, presents and then took Kellin and his friends to see the new Disney Wall-e movie. It was a chaotic party with 11 kids running wild all over the house. Kellin was especially excited and energetic (a nice way of saying he was bouncing off the walls) and I am surprised we only had one cup of root beer spill and no broken bones. Whenever the kids come over to the house their favorite thing to do is throw all the cushions from our upstairs couch down on the landing on the stairs and then jump from the top of the stairs down into the big pile of cushions! I swear one of these days a head is going to go right through the wall. Anyways, after all the kids arrived we took them outside to do a pinata and since we don't have a big tree in our yard Kade had to hold the pinata from the ladder (kinda ghetto but it worked). Kellin knocked most of the candy out of the pinata on the first round so the rest of the kids just took turns whacking the pinata with the bat. Then we came inside for cake & presents and I grabbed the camera in time to snap a couple shots. We then took all the kids to the movie theatre where we had to stand in a crowded line for 45 minutes for the movie to start. It was a little crazy but I think it was more the adults that were annoyed rather than the kids. The movie was really cute and all the kids sat really well throughout the whole movie. I was impressed. Overall, I think it went pretty well and I think the kids had fun.
On a related note, I have this idea about birthdays with my kids. As I was planning this one I was spending the money for the party including buying the tickets, decorations, cake, etc. and then remembered that I still needed to get Kellin a birthday present from us. But then I thought that it might be a good idea to just give my kids the option of either getting a present from mom & dad or getting a party from mom & dad, but not both. So this year we decided that Kellin's present would be the party and that in the future we will just let our kids choose between having the party be their present or getting a present. What do you think?

3 comments:

C Smoot said...

Happy Birthday Kellin!! I can't believe he's four already!!! I like the choice between the party or present from Mom and Dad. So far we've told the kids they can have a birthday every other year. But even then, I dread putting it together when that time comes. I might have to implement that new idea! :-)

Kat said...

Hmmm... That is a good idea. Between all the presents that our kids get from aunts, uncles, grandma's and grandpa's, I don't know that they would even notice, atleast until they get older anyway. One thing that my sister-in-law does is only invites the same number of kids over that they are turning, for example, you could have invited 4 of his friends and saved half of your money. Just another thought. Anyway, looks like it was a success anyway! Happy Birthday Kellin!

Brittany & Barry said...

I think that's a good idea. I think we're on board doing the "friend party" every other year (even bdays) and just a "family party" (i.e. low-key) on the odd years. And I've heard multiple times that it's a good idea to have the number of guests match the child's age + 1. Cute party!