Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Child for sale...

This was definately the case last week - I don't know what was going on with my little Ethan but last week I seriously felt like someone had secretly exchanged my child for another one. Ethan has always been a very strong willed, determined child but let me tell you, last week, I seriously considered posting an ad on craigs list! Ok, maybe it wasn't quite that bad, but he definately pushed my patience to the limit. All week he had this incredibly grumpy attitude, with just about every phrase including the word "no!" in it, and all the other phrases including the words, "I do it myself!" When I would talk to him about being nice and using kind words, he would turn his head, look away from me, and cross him arms over his chest! Honeslty, I feared for my sanity and thought oh my, how long is this going to last? What have I done wrong? Even Kellin was getting frustrated with him, and kept asking me why Ethan was being so mean. By the end of the week, I was so grateful I had a weekend trip planned with Kade and some friends. Unfortunate for my niece who agreed to watch the kids for us, but much needed for me. We returned on Sunday morning to the same grumpy, grouchy alien child and I thought, alright, I can do this. It's got to just be the terrible two's, this too shall pass! Then, a few hours later, trying to understand the dramatic shift in behavior, I put my finger in his mouth to feel around for new teeth and sure enough, two big molers are coming in the back. All I have to say is that when this kid is teething, he is a bear! The last time he was getting new teeth was when he had the biting problems at the day care and had to be "suspended" for a month! Thankfully, the teeth must have broke through overnight because yesterday morning we awoke to our sweet little Ethan. Seriously, it was amazing. Instead of "no!" it was "thank you mom" and instead of "I do it myself" it was ok, mom!" And I am not exaggerating! All day I just kept holding my breath hoping the monster Ethan wouldn't reappear. Even at bedtime, he was happy to get into his crib, didn't throw a tantrum, and went right to sleep. He played great with Kellin and even shared his toys with other kids at the splash pad. Who knows which child will wake up this morning, fingers crossed it's my sweet little Ethan, otherwise that ad really might show up on craigs list!

5 comments:

Kat said...

Oh how I can empathise with you. Sadly, you know what comes after this? The TRETUROUS THREES. I never believed that the terrible two's could get much worse. Well, It did. I am sure excited to show you first hand what I mean this weekend. I am sure he won't dissapoint. There is at least 15 tantrums in his system per day, so unless you are VERY lucky you can count on a fit! ;o)

Charmaine said...

Dear Me!! Poor little guy! But poor YOU!! Hopefully no more "monsters" will come back for a long time! I'm already bracing myself in the next several months for the terrible two's to arrive!

Jonna said...

I hate teething too! When we create our own worlds, there's GOT to be a better way to get those teeth in their mouths...I'll start brainstorming...Glad you're surviving it though!!

Anonymous said...

I really am not looking forward to teething, but I guess I should prepare myself for it. I am glad that sweet little Ethan is back. it is so sad that kids have to go through that pain, ouch. I am glad we don't remember going through that. I can't wait to see you guys in a week. Love ya all!

Anonymous said...

Oh, this had me rolling! I can totally see his cute little -I'm ignoring you - face! You are such a good mom to figure out the problem behind the behavior and not just punish. (A lesson I desperately need to learn from you!;)) Poor Ethan, I hope those teeth stop bugging him. And if you ever do post him, you know we would take him in a second!;)