Monday, July 27, 2009

Camping at Pine Valley

We took the boys up to Pine Valley for a little camping & fishing. It is about a 40 minute drive from here but the great thing is the temperature up there is about 15 degrees cooler! I was a little hesitant to take Ethan on his first camping trip - not sure how well he would sleep in a tent with all of us in there together. But we decided to go for it anyway especially since it was just our family, I figured if the boys were rowdy or took forever to fall asleep, it wouldn't really bother anyone but us. Kade kept suggesting that I call up to Pine Valley to make sure we could camp up there but I thought, what's the point, I know there is camping up there so it should be no problem (plus, I was too lazy to look for the number). Well, the point my friends, would be to reserve a campsite! Duh!! Needless to say we got up there Friday evening and all the campsites we already reserved or full. Ugh I hate when I'm wrong. So, we ended up in the "overflow" campsite which is basically a big parking lot. There were three other families camping in the parking lot with us and the ground was gravel & rocks. To make matters worse, I didn't pack the air mattress (again, I was too lazy) so we ended up sleeping with rocks digging into our shoulder blades most of the night. But, despite the setbacks because I am a slacker, we had a great time. We cooked hot dogs and smores on the grill and told ghost stories in the tent as a family. Ethan had a hard time falling asleep, but it was hillarious because he would keep rolling around the tent, jumping over us trying to find the perfect spot. He couldn't decide if he wanted to sleep by mom, dad or Kellin so he just kept moving around. Finally, I settled him down by singing some of his favorite songs to him and rubbing his tummy for a while. Once he was out, he was out and slept through the whole night. I wish I could say the same for me and Kade, but we were up most of the night trying to find some position that didn't include a rock in the back or chest or leg. We got up pretty much first thing in the morning and headed over to the lake for some fishing. Kellin is our master fisherman (trained by the best of the best, Pops) and was the only one to catch a fish for the day. The funny thing was that Kellin & Ethan were fighting over the fishing pole and I was over trying to resolve the dispute when we felt a big tug on the line. Kellin reeled it in and Kade took the fish off the hook and dropped it in the bucket. While we were baiting the line mischevious Ethan dumped the fish back into the lake! We had to go in after it! Luckily we caught it again and the boys pretty much entertained themselves for the rest of the day playing with the half dead fish in the bucket. Seriously, boys can be so gross. Ethan kept bringing the fish over to me trying to get me to kiss it and then he would lick the fish and say "de-wishish". Yuck!! Kade took the boys on a hike around the lake and then I did one with Kellin, trying to keep them entertained since there weren't a lot of bites from the fish that day. We had a picnic lunch and then decided to head home and take naps. The boys koncked out in the car on the drive home. All in all I had such a great time with my little family. Sometimes we get a little lonely down here not being close to family and it was good to do this little trip and remember that really, if all I ever had was this little family, I would be so blessed and grateful. The boys can be a handful most days, but they are also the sweetest, cutest, most loving boys we could ever hope for. Kade was so great about the camping trip (it's not really his thing) and didn't even say "I told ya so" about the campsite or the air mattress! Love ya babe! Thanks for being my best friend. I know that no matter what, I will always have you and that is more than I could ever hope for.





7 comments:

Kat said...

What a fun memory! It looks like a beautiful place! Your boys are growing up so fast! I can't believe how fas the time flies.

HanksFam said...

I'm glad you guys had a great time. Kade, you're so good for going. I don't think I'll ever be able to get Eph to go camping. Maybe you could talk to him...?

Charmaine said...

Despite all the hiccups in your little trip, it sounds like you'll have a lifetime of memories. Love you guys!

The Mathews Family said...

It was a great experience. My body hurt for a few days after the camping trip but it was worth it. I love my family. Thanks for a great weekend.

Love, Daddy

Burnett Family said...

It sounds like it was quite an adventure!I am sure the boys loved every minute of it. One of these days I'll have to talk JB into camping:)

Emily H. said...

I LOVE that picture of the boys together!!! Leave it to you to make the best of any situation and still have fun!

Kristy said...

That sounds like so much fun! We are so jealous! ;)