This past weekend we went to Lake Powell with some friends - we had lots of fun camping and boating. On Saturday we were out on the boat pulling the kids around on the tubes. We had two tubes being pulled behind the boat and Kellin was out on one of the tubes with two other kids. At the last second I decided to jump on the other tube, called the "death biscuit" with another girl. The tube Kellin was on could seat three people and they are sitting up against a little back rest. Just as the boat was starting to pull us to get going I looked over to check on Kellin and saw that the rope was pulling the front of the tube down into the water. The tube did a nose dive under water and three kids fell off. My motherly instincts kicked in and told me to jump off my tube and swim over to Kellin to make sure he was okay being in the big lake. As I was swimming over to them I could only see the other two boys that were on the tube and couldn't see Kellin anywhere. My heart started racing and I swam as fast as I could around the tube looking for him. I found him trapped under the tube struggling to get his head above water. I grabbed him and pulled him up with shaking hands. He was a little shaken up but fine and just had this shocked look on his face. Once we got back onto the boat Kellin said he wanted to go tubing again but then I think his nerves kicked in and he decided he was too scared to go back out there again. He sat on my lap the rest of the time and eventually fell asleep. He didn't really go in the water much the rest of the trip, poor kid. I was so glad though that I had jumped in after him because I got to him much faster than if I had waited. I'm so grateful for that little voice inside me that tells me when something is wrong. I will never doubt that motherly instinct - somehow a mother always knows, and it really is such a beautiful and amazing thing.
On another note, we left Ethan with a friend for the weekend because we didn't think he would fare too well in the 100+ degree weather especially with nothing but rocks and dirt to crawl around on. We really missed our little chunk-a-monk while we were gone and were greeted with a huge smile and happy giggles when we picked him up. He is such a sweet little baby.
Monday, June 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow, that is incredibly scary about Kellin. What a blessing it was that you were there to see it happen and know what to do. What if you hadn't have gotten on the other tube??
How scary! I am so glad you listened.
I always worry if I will know what is instinct and what isn't.
Post a Comment