Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Recipe of the Week

I'd like to try a new recipe a week; that's my goal anyway. I LOVE grilling things, it's my favorite way to cook food since there is virtually no clean up (aside from what is used during prep) and I feel super-cool out there on the grill (way cooler than in front of the stove/oven)! Bonus: no pots/pans to wash, just scrape the grill after each use. Easy-peasy! So here's a yummy recipe I found this week that has simple ingredients, easy prep, and can be made on the grill. Try it and tell me what you think!

Honey Chicken Skewers with Grilled-Corn Salad

Makes 4 servings
Total Time: 30m

Ingredients
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
salt and pepper
canola oil spray, for the grill
6 ears corn, shucked
1 tablespoon butter, cut into pieces
2 scallions, sliced

Directions
1. Place twenty 8-inch wooden skewers in water to soak. Heat grill to medium-high. In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, honey, and Worcestershire sauce; set aside.
2. Slice the chicken lengthwise into twenty 1/2-inch-thick strips. Thread each strip onto a wooden skewer. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
3. Lightly oil the grill. Cook the chicken, turning occasionally, until cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes, basting with the ketchup mixture during the last 2 minutes of cooking.
4. Meanwhile, grill the corn, turning occasionally, until slightly charred, 3 to 4 minutes. Cut the kernels off the cobs, place in a medium bowl, and toss with the butter, scallions, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Serve with the chicken.

Nutrition Per Serving
Calories 427 cal
Fat 13g; Sat Fat 5g
Protein 39g
Carbohydrate 44g
Sugar 21g
Fiber 4g
Weight Watchers Points: 9
Credit: Real Simple

**Recipe follow up: I made this recipe last night and Kade & I both loved it! The sauce for the chicken was yummy & the corn salad was delicious. It was easy to make and not much clean-up. If you have kids that will touch anything besides hot dogs & chicken nuggets, I bet your kids would love the chicken too! I had to use frozen corn on the cob since I couldn't find any fresh corn at Wal-Mart (too early in the season, I think) and it was fine but I can't wait to make this corn salad with fresh corn! I also thought about using a butter substitute, something with less fat, in the corn salad, just to cut down on the fat and calories a little. I think any kind of butter or butter substitute would work just fine.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE to grill. It was my favorite way to cook in college and still is today...rain or shine or snow or whatever...the clean up factor is a bonus and seriously...everything just tastes better. I had some bbq chicken and grilled asparagus the other day...grilled veggies are the way to go! Thanks for the recipe. I will definitely have to check it out!