Monday, November 17, 2008

How Did You Feel Today

I started asking Kellin this at night when I put him to bed. We lay down together and talk about what made us feel happy, mad, sad, excited, etc. and why it made us feel that way. It has been a really fun bonding thing between us and he has actually said some really interesting things, some of the things he has said I didn't he realize he had noticed throughout the day, other things, like when he told me it made him feel sad when I yelled at him, really remind me that these little guys are sensitive to their environments and I need to be more careful when I get frustrated with something. I really like doing it though because I think it is good for Kellin to feel like he can talk to me about his feelings and know that if he tells me he felt mad or sad about something I did, I will listen to him and talk to him about what happened. Sometimes I explain to him why I got mad and let him know that sometimes we don't always handle our emotions in the right way. It gives me a chance to talk with him about the feelings we felt and apologize to him when I realize that I made him feel sad by getting angry with him. It is also really interesting to hear the kinds of things that make him feel happy, they are usually little things like teaching Ethan how to say bootie or taking Ethan for a ride in his truck. Anyways, I started a little list on the side of my blog, mostly for myself, to remember the things that Kellin (and Ethan in the future) tells me about how he feels. Hopefully this will help him to learn how to express his feelings in a healthy way and articulate himself to others.

4 comments:

Kat said...

What a fantastic idea! I think I might start this with Kaden.(Even though he can't talk, I can do the talking for him and he can nod yes or no.) I think that it is really important to have the open communication with kids these days. I should do something like this with Lexi as well when I am with her.

Emily H. said...

Taught him how to saw "bootie," as in bum? :) That's hilarious. I love it. I so wished we lived closer so I could get more parenting tips from you more often. I could use your good influence! Love you!

Rachel and Kelly said...

Hey guys!! I found your blog through Angela and Tylers blog. It was so nice to meet you guys this weekend. We had so much fun. We will definitely have to hang out again.

Brittany & Barry said...

Awesome idea! At night, Addy always says to me, "Tell me about tomorrow" - meaning for me to run through what's on the agenda. I love your idea, though, and I think I'm going to steal it! :)