Monday, March 3, 2008

New Address

We are moving into our new house this week so I wanted to post our new address in case I missed someone in the emails I sent out. Our new address is:
99 N. Lee Lane
Saint George, UT 84790

I can't believe we are moving this week, it seems like we haven't been here that long and it's actually been almost 2 years. I'm also surprised at how sad I am about moving out of this neighborhood. I really wish we could pick up our new house and plop it right on top of this one. Our rental is just too small for our growing family so we need more space but this neighborhood has been unbelievable. We have seriously loved living here. The neighborhood is filled with kids and Kellin has made some really good friendships with many of them. I know they will still be friends, but it's so nice being close because Kellin can just go right next door or up the street or over to the park and have tons of kids to play with. I am praying that our new neighborhood will be just as fun as this one has. The park has been such a great social catalyst and really the main way we have formed our friendships. It's so nice to go over to the park and sit on the bench and chat with whatever moms are out with their kids too. I know that we will meet people through the ward but I often struggle meeting people that way. It's hard for me to get past the cordialties and actually form a friendship outside of church. That's what I have loved about this neighborhood is that many of our friends aren't even members and it's actually really refreshing to get outside the "mormon culture" and get to know people on a different level. I'm probably going to be stoned for this, but does anyone else relate to what I am saying? Sometimes it seems that when I meet people through a church setting, it's hard to get past the "I'm a perfect person" facade and really get to know them and become real friends. When I think about most of my really close friendships, none of them are people I have met at church, they are friends from work, school, or neighbors, even though many are LDS. It's like that front isn't there in other settings and so it's easier to get to know people. So I'm not saying that LDS people are fake, I'm saying that for some reason when we are in the "church" setting, we sometimes put up a front and that makes it harder to make friends. Anyways, I'm babbling now so I will stop. Curious to hear other thoughts on this.

2 comments:

Jonah and Aja said...

Amen to that Mary. I think when you live other places outside of Utah, your friends you meet at church can become your outside-of-church friends much easier. In my last ward, I found that going to the playgroup with the other moms helped me make good friendships much more than just seeing each other at church on Sundays. I've had a hard time in my new ward, though... there are just so few moms that are in the same stage of life as me, so even when I've tried to start friendships, we find we can't really connect outside of church. Actually, some of my best friends in the ward are retired grandmas!
Pretty much, I can't count my friends in St. George on one hand, so I read you loud and clear.
Good luck with moving again.

Brittany & Barry said...

Mary

I loved what you said because it is true. I suppose the feeling you are experiencing is what we all have experienced. We are afraid that other members in the ward actually find out that we are imperfect and in fact they may find out that you occasionally swear or that you struggle with certain aspects of the church. And if they find these things out what will they think?

I believe what they'll think is, "at last, I've found someone who is like me. Someone who is being themselves." I think the fear is to be oneself, but in actual fact it is libertaing for you and for those around you to be yourself. I beleive that if you were a fly on the wall in anyone's home, you would be relieved because you will quickly realize that they are as dysfunctional as you are. To see others' dysfuntions actually brings me a sense of relief. I love Kade and Mary so much because I know their flaws and I love their flaws, in fact your flaws let me know that it's okay for me to have them too. AND WE ALL KNOW HOW BAD MINE ARE.

Cheers, Baz