Monday, January 26, 2009

Magic Beans

Probably over a year ago when I was putting Kellin to bed one night I told him the story of Jack and the Beanstalk - as best as I could remember anyways. He really liked the story of course, especially the part about the magic beans that grew and grew into a gigantic beanstalk. A few days later we were at Bajio and you know how they have a bowl of uncooked beans at the checkout to put pens in? Well, Kellin saw the beans and said, "look mom, magic beans!!" He grabbed a handful and put them in his pocket to take home and plant in the backyard so he could, of course, grow his own beanstalk. As soon as we got home he went straight to the backyard and "planted" them in the rocks (since our backyard at the time was just rocks). Nothing grew of course but to this day he is still trying. So, this morning when I was doing laundry I pulled all the clothes out of the washer to put into the dryer and found a whole bunch of beans at the bottom of the washer. It's not the first time it's happened, usually about once a month when I do laundry I find a handful of beans at the bottom of the washer! He must find them when we are at the grocery store, Bajio or Cafe Rio, or who knows where else that they have beans within his reach. He's even grabbed coffee beans from the bins at the grocery store thinking maybe those ones would work better! He will usually find them on the dryer and remember to go outside and plant them. So who knows, maybe one day we will have a gigantic beanstalk growing in our backyard and one night we'll hear:

"Fee-fi-fo-fum, I smell the blood of an Englishman,
Be he alive, or be he dead,
I'll have his bones to grind my bread!"

I sure wouldn't mind finding the golden harp at the top!

2 comments:

Brittany & Barry said...

That is so funny!

Kat said...

The poor little guy. Life is full of disapointments. I was telling my sister-in-law about this and she thought it was very sweet that he took it that literally. It makes you want to believe in the fairytales of life. She also said that black beans will grow. She put some in a little pot and she had a cute little vine growing up her kitchen window. Maybe worth a try?